Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Penrod Fajitas

Growing up in Arizona, and I've had some pretty darn good Mexican food. LOVE Mexican food. The spicier, the better. When I was in high school, my BFF's family served us their version of fajitas, and I've pretty much been craving them since. They are so not traditional. They so may be considered "Utah" Mexican food. I don't care. They. Are. Good.

When I was first married I begged her for the recipe. I just knew Mike would like them. When she came and made them for us, and finally gave me the recipe, I was shocked by what the ingredient was that made them so good. Anyway, I was right. Mike loves them. This, to me, is proof to how good they are. He is a die-hard Mexican food fan, and is incredibly picky. So, I know that they are good if he likes them.

Penrod Fajitas

Serves 4

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced thin (I only used one, because I only had one)
2 bell peppers (any color you want... I love red and yellow. BUT, green were on sale), sliced thin
1 onion, cut into thin strips
2 cloves garlic, minced (again, I grate mine)
2 TB canola oil, divided
2-4 TB Yoshida's Sweet Teriyaki Sauce

Warm flour tortillas
Sour cream
Shredded cheese
Tomatoes, diced

Heat 1 TB oil in pan. Add half of chicken and cook until browned. Remove, and repeat with remaining chicken. Remove. Warm tortillas by wrapping a stack of them in foil, and heating at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.



Add remaining oil to pan. Cook onions on medium-high until they begin to become slightly translucent (about 5-7 minutes... I love the sweetness from cooked onions, but if you like them with more 'bite' cook them less). Be sure and scrape up the brown bits from the pan (see above picture) this adds to the flavor. Add garlic, stirring constantly, cook for about 1 minute. Add bell peppers, and cook for 2-3 minutes, until crisp-tender. Add chicken. Toss together with peppers and onion, and then add teriyaki sauce. We like ours saucy, so we add all of it. But use however much you want.

Serve on warm tortillas with sour cream, shredded cheese, and diced tomatoes.

No comments: