Sunday, July 6, 2008

Grandma Dorrie's Meatloaf


My grandma makes the best meatloaf. I've loved it since I was a little girl. I remember being 9, and asking her for the recipe, and it's always a family favorite. Mike especially loves it. I am pretty sure that this isn't a secret family recipe, so I'm sharing it. If this post mysteriously disappears, you'll know why. :)

This recipe normally uses 3 pounds of ground beef. I've cut the recipe down by 1/3 to use 2 pound for budget purposes. ALSO, I use ground turkey in all my recipes. It's leaner and less expensive, and I like the taste. I'll post her recipe, and my changes (in red).

Grandma Dorrie's Meatloaf

3 pounds ground beef (2 pounds ground turkey)
1-12 oz can evaporated milk (8 oz)
1 envelope onion soup mix (2/3 envelope)
1 cup wheat germ (2/3 cup)
Lots of celery (I do about a cup)

Mix together, and place into a 9x13" pan. Cover with ketchup. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Drain fat off, and serve with more ketchup.

No comments: